Sunday, April 22, 2012

Judging


Day 22:  Write a judging poem.

Imperfect

Coffee grounds sit on the counter all day
forty-eight crayon drawings on the wall
dirt stained carpet won't be going away
we'll play in the sand, our chores will be stalled
critical eye scans to judge the decay.

***
When I saw today's prompt, I remembered a poem I wrote 5 years ago that I knew would fit.  I wanted to show it here, too, and maybe spot some progress between then and now, but not sure I see it.  Anyway, here it is:

Expectations

Across the table
I sit
drowning in the shallowness
of her conversation
and I eye her
through the swirling green liquid
of her apple martini
the smell of disappointment wafts to my nostrils
as she takes a sip
making her perfections
distorted and ugly
I hold the vision
and drink my own choice of poison
feel the burn in the back of my throat
just like the words
I want to speak, but don't

3 comments:

  1. I think the reason you don't see much difference in your writing between the poem from 5 years ago and the poem you wrote for this prompt is because you perfected your writing style already. :) This is definitely signature you - and I mean that in the best way possible! I can definitely pick up on your voice! But I will say I think you do improve each time you write a poem, just making them greater and greater as you go. Expectations so perfectly fit the prompt. The ending is very funny as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thank you! I really appreciate that. <3

    I took that picture when we ate at Angelina's on Sunday. It's part of the menu. Ha, I was desperate for a photo.

    ReplyDelete