Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Southern Fried Picnic














Day 18:  Regional Cuisine.

Southern Fried Picnic

Red and white checkered blanket on the ground
honeysuckle breeze lifts your auburn hair.
Under a shade tree, the best spot we found
fried chicken and sweet tea for us to share.
Potato salad and a juicy peach
the liquid drips down your chin to your shirt.
A bowl of mixed greens is just out of reach
on our tongues, the tinglin' taste buds do flirt.
Banana puddin' and curious ants
I can't continue to keep on eatin'.
I won't be able to button my pants
and a long, restful nap I'll be needin'.
We can lie back, the sun will go down soon
hand in hand, we'll gaze at the stars and moon.

2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how hungry that picture and this poem makes me. YUMM!
    I can picture, smell, taste, and feel everything from the blanket to the breeze to the peach juice staining the hello kitty sweatshirt I'm wearing. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked this one. Another one inspired by our outings - the picnic in the park. :)

    ReplyDelete